Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Well now I'm 30.

Well everyone...I'm now 30 years old. 

The day was destined to come sooner or later. Approaching my 30th birthday, I had numerous people ask me how I felt about turing 30 or if I was "ok"...most of these people were still in their 20's. For some reason there is this looming negativity about moving from one decade of life to the next. Society wants us to conjure up thoughts of all the things we didn't accomplish or opportunities we missed; there is a sense of pressure to compile memories from the past years, weeding out failures and regrets. 

But why does it have to be like this? The older and wiser individuals in my life hummed a different tune when they reflected on their 30th birthday. All these people expressed nothing but positivity and encouragement. They built up my confidence with remarks like, "you will have a new sense of authority in life" or, "it is like you finally know who you are". 

In the end I made the promise to myself to walk with strength and dignity into my future. I decided to choose joy when fear and doubt crept in, and I let optimism win. Whether you are 30, 22, 58 or 40, life is about focusing on what blessings you have, not on what is missing. 

So this birthday I focused on the full half of the glass. I remembered that God promoted me into a job I could have never dreamed up for myself, I have friends that care for me fiercely and boldly, my family loves me selflessly and sacrificially, I am healthy, I get to serve and do life in the most incredible church, God allows me each day to care for others and help people see their full potential, and I live in the greatest city in the world.

So here you are 30 and I love you already. It is cliche, but seriously...the best is yet to come.

What better way to celebrate by birthday than with pictures in Dumbo with the city skyline in the background, and in front of really awesome colorful wall! It's my birthday and I'll take a lot of #selfies if I want to. 





Dress: Joe Fresh / Shoes: Banana Republic / Watch: Michael Kors / Bracelets: C.Wonder & Coach


















My amazing mom took these pictures. She helped make my birthday extra special by being here. Can't wait to share all the fun adventures in posts to come!



Thirty Flirty Fabulous.
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS