Friday, April 4, 2014

Buvette with Mom

I told you it was coming. 

A dinner at Buvette post.

Before you say, "not another post about Buvette", Mom was in town, and I couldn't resist introducing her to my favorite little spot. 

I love when my Mom comes to visit. Even at 29, there is nothing like being taken care of by your mama. Everything is just a little extra special when Mom is around...you can go to that restaurant you've been wanting to try but didn't want to foot the bill for, it's an excuse to play tourist and visit multiple museums in one day, and cabs are always the preferred method of transportation. 

My beautiful mother.


We had to wait a bit, but ordered a bottle of their French Chardonnay to pass the time.





We started with the Aligot. It is melted cantal cheese, potato puree & smoked ham over a thick piece of bread. Probably one of my favorite things on the menu.


Next, we salivated over the Duck Rillettes. It is described on the menu as spiced duck confit. Smeared over a warm toast, it is melt in your mouth delicious. They pair it with a few olives and caperberries, which provide a spicy and salty compliment.



Next came the Poireaux en Vinaigrette or leeks in mustard vinaigrette. A little vegetable was necessary. The leeks were cooked just tender enough to pull apart with a fork, but still had a slight crunch.


We ended with the Cassoulet, pot of slow cooked duck, pork & beans, & the Moules a la rouille, steamed mussels with garlic toasts. 



I love the Cassoulet. I tried cooking cassoulet a few years ago and failed miserably. I was so scarred by that experience I have yet to try again, but Buvette's version sets a high bar to live up to. 

The mussels were interesting. They were steamed and then stuff with an herb bread crumb and baked. The sauce was delicious, but all the steaming and baking left the mussels a bit dry. I think it is an acquired taste that I don't have. 

Nonetheless, it did not keep us from finishing EVERYTHING.



Merci beaucoup Buvette for another satisfying meal.

Bonne nuit! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS