Sunday, April 13, 2014

Toro and The (little) Mermaid Inn

There has been a lot of eating out the last couple weeks for me. Living in NYC it is very easy to eat out every night of the week. This though, is not healthy for my bank account or my waist line. When choosing to go out to eat, there are two markers for me to measure if it was worth the cost: food quality and the company.  I was lucky this week with not just great company, but great food!

Mer and I visited Toro. I have been wanting to try it since it opened, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Toro is a Barcelona-style tapas bar. There are traditional and modern dishes, all prepared with regional Spanish flavors and techniques, using the freshest ingredients. The decor is incredible! The same team that crafted up the interior at ABC Kitchen worked on Toro, and you can sense the similarity in vibe. 

It is a true tapas restaurant so you have to be up for sharing, and you have to order a lot to not walk away hungry. 

A majority of these pictures were taken with my iphone, so I apologize for the poor quality. 


Just a warning, I guess there is a tradition in Spain in which you pour cider into a carafe and then chug it. I don't think you are required to chug it, but you do pour it into your mouth via a spout off the carafe. We had a table nearby getting very rowdy and it took us a bit off guard. But once we learned about the tradition, we noticed a ton of tables around the room drinking the cider.


We started with the Atun Crudo, a yellowfin tuna with white soy, spicy cucumber, citrus and avocado.


Next came the Foie Gras y Piquillo, seared foie gras with piquillo pepper, cider vinegar gastrique and candied walnuts.

It was so much goodness in each bite.


These are Zanahorias, heiroom carrots, buttermilk, dill and harissa. They had a very smoky flavor, like they were cooked over a camp fire.


Next came Alcachofas de Sol, sunchokes with pickled plums, mint, shisho, and aioli. One of my favorites of the night. Sunchokes are similar to artichokes, but very seasonal so you can't always find them in stores.


These little nibbles are the Mollejas, crispy veal sweetbreads with blood orange, fermented black beans, peanuts and celery root. Now I've had sweetbreads before and was turned off by the texture, but these were crispy, flavorful and delightful to eat.


I told you we ordered a lot.

Next was the Panza De Cerdo, crispy pork belly with apples, squash, rutabagas and berbere. This was my absolute favorite of the night, I could have eaten multiple plates.

We also ordered the Abuon, abalone with brown butter, parsley and migas. It was so good I forgot to snap a picture. Abalone is a delicious meaty shellfish.


How could we leave without dessert?! They only serve three desserts and I can't remember the exact name of this one, but it was awesome. I remember it being salted chocolate mousse deliciousness.


In the Spring time mood, Mer and I had Rose with our meal. She ended the evening with this colorful cocktail (perfect for a hot summer day) and I had a beautiful Rioja. 


I highly recommend a visit to Toro. You won't be disappointed.


The next evening, I had plans to meet up with my beautiful friend Kristen for an early dinner. I recommended The Mermaid Inn. There are three locations throughout the city and each boasts a fish heavy menu. They have a killer Happy Hour every day of the week where you can get a variety of appetizers very cheap, $1 oysters and $6 glasses of wine. 

I learned, when we arrived, that you can make reservations, so I would suggest you do so if trying to go on a Friday or Saturday. We didn't, so we had to wait. Luckily, we sat before the end of Happy Hour and could reap the benefits.




I, of course, ordered a dozen oysters. They are Long Island's finest Bluepoints.


We also couldn't resist the hush puppies. They are balls of fried goodness.


Kristen opted for the Tuna Tacos.



The Mermaid Inn does not have a dessert menu, but they always give you a complimentary chocolate mouse with your fishy fortune.




Both our fish informed us we are passionate. 


Calories and conversation consumed, it was worth every ounce and penny. I am constantly amazed at the life I get to live and the people I get to do it with. I pray you all do your best to make the most of each moment and always choose joy.

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS