Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rainy Days & Tarallucci


Don't you love it when people from your past who you love reach out to you to catch up? In college I was in a sorority. I had the most amazing "little sister" but we lost touch over the years. This past week, she sent me a sweet message via Facebook and suggested we meet for lunch since she is in and out of the city a lot more these days. I couldn't wait! She was staying in Harlem, so my neighborhood, the Upper West Side, was the perfect location for our rendezvous. I picked one of my go to lunch spots, Tarallucci e Vino. There are three Tarallucci restaurants in Manhattan. They each have a unique vibe, one is the wine bar (where we were), another the cafe, and the third the restaurant. I usually go for lunch because they have an amazing selection of Italian paninis for a very reasonable price. Tarallucci is a favorite of locals and attracts an international crowd. 




We both opted for Paninis. Kellie got the Marziano (zucchini, mozzarella, and parsley dressing) and I, needing some protein, opted for the Terra (rosemary chicken, arugula, and black olive pate. Each come with a side salad and they have an incredible bread basket. We both got french pressed coffee...always nice and strong.  





It was gloomy and rainy, but catching up with Kellie brightened my day. There are tons of little local places like Terallucci that people miss when visiting NYC. Sometimes it's important to go off the beaten path and explore the neighborhoods that are less traveled by tourists to experience some of the best and affordable cuisine in Manhattan.



Just because it was rainy out, did not mean I wasn't going to put thought into my outfit for the day. On these sorts of days, you actually have to think more in order to be fashionable, comfortable, and prepared for mother nature. The milder temperatures and slight drizzle allowed me to use accessories to navigate the weather and still feel comfortable for the day.


Every New Yorker needs a compact but strong umbrella. 


My scarf not only kept my neck warm, but it served as an accessory to my ensemble once I was inside. This scarf is actually an old beach sarong that my mom never used. I love the dark tie-dyed pattern and fringe. 


Beenie (H&M) / Nautical Shirt (J.Crew) / Black Trench (Etam) / Grey Studded Boots (Vince Camuto)

The day ended with the most amazing night with friends. We ate a lot of cheese (so much for watching my cholesterol), played Heads Up (my new favorite game - a particularly enjoy the Act It Out and Hey Mr. DJ categories), and laughed our faces off.  






d.eileen





4 comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS