Friday, January 10, 2014

Ms. D's Counseling Corner

I started off today with this "compliment" from a 4th grade student - "Ms D, you look really pretty on Fridays". My response was, "Thanks. How about every other day of the week?" Kids really do say the darnedest things. 

During the day, I work as a School Counselor. My job is to help students manage their social-emotional needs to be successful in the classroom. I work with student with a variety of struggles including (but not limited to) low frustration tolerance, anxiety, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, and depression.  The kids I work with bring such joy to my life. I make it my task to laugh everyday when working with a student. These little people carry such big weights, I want them to feel like a kid and understand how to keep joy apart of their life. They say the silliest things and also some of the most profound. There are so many stories, good and bad, over the last three years. Here are a few snapshots of what I experience day in and day out. 

                                          
...under the desk drawing...

                                            
...sometimes we just need a nap...


                                         
....or hide from the world in our sweater...

                                        
...when you travel to Paris, you must accessorize appropriately...

I love exposing kids to the city they live in. I want them to have vision bigger than the world they were born into. I try to do this by bringing in guest speakers, taking them on field trips, and planning events that get them interacting with adults who can serve as inspiration for their future. 

Career Fair 2013
Photo c/o Kerri Hamm





Basketball Clinic


Field Trips & Guest Speaker



I am lucky to get to do something I love. If you are not satisfied with the work that you do, I encourage you to discover your strengths and what you are passionate about. It may not be a particular career, but a lifestyle or a way of interacting with others. However you choose to spend your time, make sure it counts. 

I'm looking forward to collaborating more in the future with positive adults in the community. Coming up this year, Miss Teen USA is visiting again, Chef Danielle Alex will be doing a cooking lesson with select students, and I just started brainstorming for the 3rd Annual Career Fair. 

Whatever it takes!

d.eileen







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS