Monday, March 17, 2014

On the Steps of the Met...with The Londoner!

On Friday night I was in the mood to dress up and go out. I met Mer at DBGB for drink, which turned into wine and dinner. DBGB has a fun selection of homemade sausage dishes. I had a nibble a bit earlier so I wasn't starving, but still ordered the Beaujolaise - pork, mushroom, onion, bacon & red wine link, over a lentils du puy. Mer hadn't eaten and chose two sausage: the Thai - pork, lemongrass & red curry link over a green papaya, basil friend rice, topped with a quail egg - and the Vermont - pork and cheddar stuffed link, topped with a red onion creme fraiche and a side of hash browns. 

I had aspirations of going out and about, but once the hours set in, I hopped in a cab and headed to my bed for a good night sleep. 


Not before a subway selfie....


Saturday I woke up bright eyed an bushy tailed (as they say). It was a good rest and I took on the day full steam ahead. I had a breakfast meeting in Brooklyn (which was incredible. I forgot to take pictures). 

Once I got back to Manhattan, it seemed like all my friends had something else going on. At first I felt a bit lost as to what to make of my day. It was sunny and warmer than usual in NYC, so I was not about to go sit at home. After milling around a few shops, I hopped on the bus crosstown.


I ended up at the Met...The Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Saturday is NOT the day to go to the Met. There are so many tourists which makes it crowded and not easy to view the art. As a local, I never stay at the Met for very long. I usually hit up the special exhibits and my favorite European paintings. 


The museum is massive! There is an overwhelming amount of art in this building. You really want to plan your trip before heading there if it is your first time. There is no way you can or want to see it all in one visit. 

One of the Special Exhibitions on display through May 4th, is Charles Marville: Photographer of Paris. Acknowledged as one of the most talented photographers of the nineteenth century, Charles Marville was commissioned by the city of Paris to capture and document the picturesque and grand streets, monuments, and structures of the city. 




The photography was incredible and beautifully captured the heart of life in Paris. After, I wandered over to the European painting wing. This section features works by European painters from 1230-1900. You can see pieces by Monet, Van Gogh, Degas, Renoir & so many more. It is my favorite.









My absolute favorite are Edgar Degas' ballerinas. The sculpture, The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer was done in 1880. This is a bronze cast (1922) of the wax original, which is adorned with a cotton skirt, horse hair for hair, and a satin ribbon.


Dancers in the Rehearsal Room with a Double Bass, 1882-85.


Two Dancers, 1873


The beauty about living across the park from the Met is I can go whenever I want. Each time I discover something new.


Today, I discovered the Arms and Armor room.






I then stumbled upon this man sketching a sculpture titled The Vine.



This museum has something for every art lover. 


Upon exiting, one of my favorite bloggers, The Londoner, had organized a meet up for fans and other bloggers to connect and chat. Those sorts of things can always be a bit awkward, but I wanted the chance to ask her a few questions. She writes about food, fashion, life in London and her amazing travels all over the world. When I was last in London, I visited a few of her restaurant suggestions and they were all incredible! She takes you to local London, away from the tourists, which I love.

I am a firm believer of learning from people who are doing what you are doing but better. The Londoner has been writing her blog for a number of years and has thousands of followers, so I can't compare my beginning to her middle story, but I can use her example of how to be a better lifestyle blogger. Connecting and networking are key to success in any venture.


She was absolutely lovely...along with being glamourous and fabulous...all Naturally Ginger approved qualities.


Thanks for the meet & greet Rosie! Hope you'll check out Naturally Ginger for some NYC tips during your next trip!


xoxo from the steps of the Met.

d.eileen

2 comments:

  1. Trust me, she does not go anywhere resembling local London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know some of the places she goes are pretty posh, but I was able to check out some spots that were reasonably priced with good food.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS