Saturday, May 10, 2014

Soho House & The Firing Squad...Bang Bang

I haven't posted all week and I'm super bummed about that! It has been a non-stop week at work and in life. But, I was able to grab some fun & snapshots along the way, unfortunately they were with my iphone. 

I got an email earlier this week from an awesome chica I met through church. She no longer lives in NYC, but sent me an invite to a launch party her company was sponsoring. It was for the new BMW i8 and artist Tavares. The new BMW i8 has a unique sporty design and will set you back a pretty penny to own - around $135,000. The NYTimes did a great write up about the car here

Now, I'm not really into cars, but I was into the party's location - the very exclusive Soho House. The Soho House New York is a private members' club and hotel located in the Meathpacking District. It's not a place you just walk into, so I grabbed my plus one, freshened up after a long day at work, and set out for the adventure. 




The event also promoted the launch of artist Tavares Stratchan's new work SEEN/UNSEEN. What I learned from people walking around with ipads is that in 2011 Tavares Stratchan created a closed art exhibition in an undisclosed warehouse in Brooklyn. He photographed his work, and compiled it into a book. It's the whole idea of if a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one is around to hear it did it really fall? I think he is going for the whole if an epic work of art is created and no one knows about it, is it really that epic? 







There were yummy passed horderves - meatballs, risotto balls, tuna tartar and spinach raviolis. We made sure to lounge a bit on the velvet tufted sofas and drink a couple glasses of vino before heading home. I don't think I was supposed to take pictures but I couldn't resist. Hope they let me back in! 







Of course we made sure to snap a few shots in the photo booth and leave our mark on The Soho House wall of fame. 




Fast forward to Friday. Sad cause Hannah was out of town, Mochie rounded up the Frans for some margs. We headed down to Hecho En Dumbo. It wasn't the cheapest marg, but it sure was good. 


If you didn't know, the Frans are a gang. Don't mess with my Frans! Mochie fondly referred to us as the "firing squad" all night. I'll let you all ponder why.



I ordered the Sopes de Pollo. It was a trio of stone-ground corn masa medallions with black bean puree, house-made crema fresca, romaine lettuce and powdery cotija cheese. Mine was also topped with chicken in a chile pulla sauce. 


T & Mochie got the Tacos de Costilla - steak short rib tacos.


Natty opted for the Tacos Campechanos - steak, chorizo & crisp friend pork skin.


This is the Tacos de Tuetano - roasted bone marrow and caramelized wagyu beef tongue.


Mer had the Queso Fundido de Chorizo. Basically baked cheese over meat, served with warm tortillas.



We then popped over to The Wren for a nightcap. 



Like I said...we are a gang. We got each others back.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a lot of fun and have some great friends.
    I like the concept of art if nobody is around to hear the tree falling, but I wonder whether, taking it that one step further would be to not take photographs and maybe just to tell people it happened (although I suppose that doesn't make a great coffee table book).

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it was all very artistic. I'm still trying to figure out how he is tied to the new BMW car, but it was a fun event either way! Thanks for reading, hope you will continue to come back and share with others!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS