Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The World is Your Oyster

Saturday. It got a little warmer Saturday.

With no real plans, I put on my stompin' boots and set out with Mer in search of a good Oyster Happy Hour. We love a deal, especially when it comes to good food and drinks. I was craving Oysters (it is Oyster season by the way) and the wonderful thing about NYC is there are a TON of amazing places to get fresh Oysters. 



I have a few favorite places to go for Oyster deals. The first is in Williamsburg at Miller's Tavern. They have $1 Oysters EVERYDAY from 4pm-midnight. 

The issue I run into with happy hours is they are usually only on weeknights - that can be tough to get to for a working girl. Maison Premiere, for example, has $1 Oysters, but only on Mon-Fri from 4-7pm. If you can make it, GO! It is one of the best places for Oysters in NYC. Maison Premiere is a New Orleans inspired Oyster House with over 30 different types of Oysters to try. 

My other favorite Oyster spot is Fish in the West Village. This place is always packed and has a very casual feel, but you can get a half-dozen oyster and a glass of wine or PBR for $8!


(Boots: Vince Camuto / Jeans: Loft / Necklace: JCrew / Jacket: Oasis / Bag: Michael Kors)


Brooklyn was a bit too far for us to venture this Saturday, and we didn't want to deal with the crowds at Fish, so our Oyster search took us to Soho. 







We took a gamble and stopped in at a place called Plan B (sort of a funny name). 



Plan B is a Spanish tapas style restaurant. A few friends ate there a couple weeks back and said the food was very good. They have a happy hour with $1 Oysters and variety of Spanish wines, so I was sold. 


I had a little trouble finding a white wine I liked, and they were out of Rose (which I prefer to drink with Oysters). After tasting every wine on the menu (don't drink it if you don't like it), I ended up going with a Picapoll from Catalonia, Spain. The bartender explained it as a Spanish wine with a French feel because the grape is French. It paired well with the Oysters and I ended up really enjoying it. 


The oysters were incredible. They were meaty and salty, Blue Points from Long Island. 




Once we finished we were ready to move on. We had every intention to visit another Oyster place (The Ten Bells), but my belly was craving a bit more food. After much contemplation and a pit stop at Inborn Tattoo to say hi to some friends, we settled on the Grey Lady. This LES spot has a Nantucket-inspired menu with a sophisticated feel. The menu is not very large, but the variety is. I hear the Lobster Roll is massive and absolutely delicious.


Mer opted for the Chicken Caesar Salad which had whole anchovies on top.   



I decided on the Tuna Burger. They cooked it perfectly, medium rare, and the burger was flavorful but not fishy. It was complimented by a yummy Hoisin based dipping sauce. 


If you love Oyster as much as me, the Oyster Happy Hour website is a great resource for places to go. 

Also, if you are looking to get a tattoo Jon Boy at Inborn Tattoo is the best in the business. He did my last tattoo and most of my friends'. 


The World is Your Oyster.
d.eileen





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS